THE ORGANS OF WAIAPU CATHEDRAL
The organ, having recently undergone a complete restoration by the South Island Organ Company, is one of the finest in New Zealand. Featuring more than 3700 pipes, it is now the largest church organ in New Zealand.
Earlier organs were: a harmonium (1863); a William Hill of London (1874); a Dodd of Adelaide (1907) destroyed in the 1931 Napier earthquake; a Lewis dating from 1884 installed post-earthquake; refurbishment and additions by Lawton & Osborne (1938); further improvements in the 1960s by Hayman of Lower Hutt then Lee of Feilding; a rebuild by Geo. Croft & Son of Auckland (1974).
The present day organ has 5 divisions – Great, Swell, Positive, Solo and Pedal. A Chamade projects horizontally and speaks with great authority to its counterpart, the Tromba on the other side of the Cathedral. The Positive is to be regarded as lesser Great organ with similar pipes but on a smaller scale. The Solo has edgy string stops as well as distinctive oboe and clarinet stops. To sum up, the organ is capable of playing the greatest French, German and English compositions in their own authentic style.